This call is for early-career scientists in IFS (International Foundation of Science) eligible developing countries to apply for IFS Individual Research Grants and carry out research projects for a period of up to 3 years. An applicant must have at least an MSc/MA, be younger than 35 years of age (for men) or 40 years of age (for women) and must do the research project in an IFS eligible country.
Application Deadline: 31st December, 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: See list below
To be taken at (country): A Developing Country
Eligible Fields: Proposals are sought under one of three research areas:
- Biological Resources in Terrestrial Systems: Including but not limited to: Biodiversity, Forestry, Natural Products, Renewable Energy and Climate Change.
- Water and Aquatic Resources: Including but not limited to: Water Resources Research; Research on all aspects of freshwater, brackish and marine aquatic organisms and their environments.
- Food Security, Dietary Diversity and Healthy Livelihoods: Including but not limited to: Research on Food Production; Animal Production and Veterinary Medicine; Crop Science including Underutilized Crops; Food Science and Nutrition, and Food Security issues.
Offered Since: 1974
Selection Criteria: To qualify for IFS funding, research projects must be
- related to the sustainable utilization, conservation or management of the biological or water resource base
- conducted in a developing country
- of a high scientific standard
- relevant for the country/region
Number of scholarships: several grants are awarded
Value of Award: Individual Research grants are awarded on merit in amounts up to USD 12,000 for one to three years. Grants are intended for the purchase of basic tools for research: equipment, expendable supplies and literature, as well as field activities.
Duration: Up to 3-years
Eligible African Countries: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of, Congo, Democratic Republic of, Cote d’Ivoire, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Other Countries: Asia and the Pacific: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, East Timor, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Kiribati, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, North Korea, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Vietnam
Latin America and Caribbean: Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, St Lucia, St Vincent & Grenadines, Suriname, Venezuela
Middle East and North Africa: Algeria, Djibouti, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Syrian Arab Republic, Tunisia, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen
How to Apply
- A researcher may submit only one application at a time for consideration by IFS.
- Applications for IFS Research grants must be submitted using the standard IFS Application Form in English or French.
- It is important to go through the Application instructions on the Program Webpage (see Link below) before applying.